Friday, May 7, 2010

Applying top layer

Creasing: The final layer to this project involves the creasing and attachment of the PVC sheet that takes on a faceted appearance.
Clamps were useful for stretching the sheet to overcome the tendency to shrink away from the board edges due to the creases.
Attachment: I had pondered endlessly in my mind about how to attach the PVC sheet to the board without solution. while poised with the final vinyl triangle, it occured to me in a flash that the obvious answer is to use the vinyl triangles them selves to attach the sheet to the board. It is tempting to call this the vinyl solution. I am overjoyed at the final effect especially as I worked out a method of creating a crease that penetrates only part way into the sheet so that we feel we are witnessing a process of becoming. The warps created by the creases provide an endless play on the light arriving at the sheet when the viewer changes position. This creates a liveliness and sense of energetic animation I did not anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment