Saturday, May 22, 2010

Practice continued

Learning: Delays in practice due to reluctance or inability of suppliers to provide the diamonds I need to continue my work are causing me to reconsider the method currently under consideration. It is entirely understandable that heavy machinery is not calibrated to the fine degree required by the present project. Attempst top have one perfect one cut on the Unitec laser in order to set up the heavy machinery have encountered further delays due to forgetfullness of busy staff. It is in itself fascinating how far out a design can be when dealing with geometric forms. The knock on effects would become a source of irritation with technicians endeavouring to adjust each part. I have now to question the appropriateness of this Pollock meets Geometry method - cutting diamonds, to be rejoined later having been subject to separate surface treatments. If I am to continue using isometric cube forms, I must consider leaving them in a hexagon form and applying masking or sign writing decal type technology.

Part solution: An off campus laser cutting company has offered to cut one sheet of wallboard for $45 - providing me with 5 cubes. Sufficient for now. I suspect I will have these 5 before I could receive my first laser cut one in Unitec. In the meantime, I have pressed on with applying my Pollock patterns using white foam board to trail the idea, and to simply break though the impasse and apply some paint! While the material is easy to cut and manipulate, it is also prone to damage and buckling, and so serves as a useful test procedure but is not a suitable permanent medium. This process is more akin to marquetry than cabinet making, requiring fine hand work.

Observation: Even at the early stahes of my Pollock cubes, i can see that adding a 3 dimensional effect, creates the impression of the Pollokian splatters suspended in 3 dimensional space.

No comments:

Post a Comment